12.17.2012

YA Superlative Blogfest: Head of the Class


It's day one of the YA Superlative Blogfest!

Here are my picks for "Head of the Class." These are the books you SHOULD have read this year. If you haven't read them yet, fix that. Now.


Favorite Dystopian
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Divergent was my absolute favorite, and this sequel lived up to the original, despite what others might say.

Favorite Science Fiction
A Million Suns by Beth Revis
Spaceships, clues, mystery, stars...this book has it all.
I NEED SHADES OF EARTH RIGHT NOW.

Favorite Fantasy
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
A fresh fantasy in an exquisite, Russian-inspired setting.
(Read my full review.)

Favorite Contemporary
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Full of wit, love, and beautiful moments. I don't usually cry when I read books, but I did with this one.

Favorite Historical Fiction
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
"KISS ME, HARDY!"
This book is stunning and heart-wrenching. That is all.

Favorite Mystery
Ten by Gretchen McNeil
This book made me kind of scared to fall asleep. So, maybe don't read it at 2am.
(Read my full review.)

Favorite Romance
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
This book tore my heart in two. The romance is perfection.

Favorite Paranormal
The Diviners by Libba Bray
This book is pos-i-tute-ly fabulous! New York City, 1920s. It gave me the heebie-jeebies.

Favorite Genre Bender
Crewel by Gennifer Albin
Romance, dystopian, sci-fi, and such an intriguing world!
(Read my full review.)

Favorite Alternate
What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

The concept of twin souls inside of one person drew me in. The writing kept me turning pages.



What books made your list? Share in the comments!

11 comments:

  1. All books I either loved or have been wanting to read. I even have some of them (oh, The Diviners, I promise I'll be brave enough to read you someday!) Awesome picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I've read some of them (and they've ended up on my superlatives list), while others are still collecting dust on my TBR shelf. Like THE DIVINERS, for instance. I really should get reading that one. CODE NAME VERITY made it onto a number of lists today, which only further solidifies that I need to read it right away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to think I should add Code Name Verity to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had Code Name Verity or my TBR list for so long, and I keep seeing it on list after list after list today. Methinks I should move it closer to the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the "favorite alternate" category. There were a few I read that made great runners-up. :) And great choices! I have a few of these on my TBR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, great picks! I adored The Fault In Our Stars (John Green FTW), Insurgent, and What's Left of Me. And I'm super excited for Ten and The Diviners! They looks gooood, and the covers are made of awesome sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, such good choices! I have Code Name Verity sitting here, but I'm afraid I won't be able to handle the FEELS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, interesting choices. There's a few of these I haven't seen yet today - speaking of which, I have What's Left of Me on my shelf, and I really need to read that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, we have quite a few books in common. I really need to read CODE NAME VERITY and SHADOW AND BONE... I've seen those two on so many lists today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, cool choices! I really enjoyed CNV, TFIOS, and FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS. And basically all the rest are on my TBR list! I asked for TEN for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're the second person to add The Darkness Shows the Stars! I was going to buy this book a while back, but the reviews scared me off. :/ Guess I shouldn't pay attention to them. I'm going to have to read it now!

    ReplyDelete